If you are thinking of a short getaway, Batam is a viable place.
There are many deals online selling tour packages to Batam – usually come with ferry transport, accommodation and 1 day city tour. However, I just wished for a place to chill and not wished to spend my time visiting places I am not interested in. So I opted for alternative. I bought the getaway package offered by Batam View Beach Resort.
Twin share: S$ 68.00 x 2 persons
Fuel surcharge, ferry terminal fee & tax S$ 27.00 x 2 persons
Public holiday surcharge: S$ 30.00 x 1 room x 1 night
- Night Accommodation based on 1 unit of Superior room.
- 1 time Buffet/ Set Breakfast at Wangi Melati Coffee House for 2 persons. (Review: food offered is so-so only.)
- 2-Way Ferry Transfer from Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal to Nongsa Ferry Terminal. (Good, because it saves you the trouble of buying the ferry tickets separately.)
- 2-Way Land Transfer from Nongsa Ferry Terminal to Batam View Beach Resort.
- Free Unlimited Wireless Internet access at Resort’s hot spots.
- Free 15 minutes trails of Canadian Canoe or Pedal Boat at Resorts Sea Sports Centre. (We tried the Canoe, think 15 min is sufficient)
- Free Usage of Gym facilities at Resort’s 5th Dimension Spa. (Please lower your expectation of the gym.)
- Free Access to Sauna & Steam rooms at Resort’s 5th Dimension Spa. (It is just the usage of sauna and steam room that is free.)
My package was for 27 Dec 2013, so the price now may have changed.
On that day, we took public bus to Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal. If you want to buy alcohol from the ferry terminal on your return, you must have stayed in Indonesia for at least 2 nights in order to be eligible.
Almost reaching Nongsa Ferry Terminal…
It is best to reach there at a time closer to the check-in time (in my case 2pm) as the room may not be ready yet. Otherwise, you can leave your luggage at the resort and go on a shopping trip first. If you want to catch the group shuttle bus (cheaper) to the shopping mall, it is best to arrange with the resort beforehand and choose a corresponding ferry timing. Otherwise, if you want to go to the shopping mall at a more flexible time, there is taxi service available but it will be more expensive.
My bf and I took a cab to MegaMall. The journal was half an hour. The food there is very cheap. We ordered a number of dishes at Pizza Hut. Also, you can spend your time in the Arcade as each play only costs a little. If you visit Batam, one of the food you can buy back is Kueh Lapis – Batam is famous for this.
I was just amazed at how french fries are sold in the supermarket.
When we returned from our shopping trip, the room was ready for us to check in.
Here is a picture of our room.
There is a recreation room. You must pay to play the video game but the rest are free for your use. So if you have nowhere to go at night, you can chill in this room – play some board games, carrom, mahjong etc.
If you walk to the pool, you will pass by an area with pets in the cages.
The pool area is decent.
But of course, you can’t compare to a 5 stars resort. Yup, Montigo Resort is just next to Batam View. The design of the resort is really beautiful – but there is a price to pay.
At night, we went to Kelong restaurant for dinner. It is a short walk from the resort. We ordered Chili crab, omelette, kangkong and green curry chicken. Green curry chicken was very spicy – not really for people who can’t take much spice. Chili crab was not as tasty as we thought – probably because it was Indonesian style so we are not used to it? – and Singapore’s chili crab has set a pretty high standard. Overall, the dinner was enjoyable as it was a good experience eating by the sea.